Friday, 26 July 2013

Recycling and Refashioning with the Oxfam Sewing Club- Selfless sewing!

So, it turns out charity shops get a load of donations they cannot sell, a massive proportion of what we donate will end up in a recycling centre, so the clever managed at the Kingston branch of charity shop Oxfam decided to start a sewing club for enthusiasts (like me!) who want to help them make a profit from all those unwanted fabrics and garments.

We have had fun making hot pants from old jeans, dip dying tees and I was allowed to choose from a selection of their fabrics and garments to take home and make into something saleable. I hope I have! They will be on sale in the Kingston Oxfam shop within the next two weeks or so, so if you are local why not pop down to see what the other sewers and I have been creating...

First off, an old piece of fabric covered in houses (selected by Clare) and a weird, moo-moo type dress transformed into 60's style shift dresses with Peter Pan collars (sorta my signature so I had to start this way!) 
I instgramed these babies and they were re-gramed by Oxfam :)






 Next, an old scarf turned into a shirred maxi dress for summer hols in the sun (looks teeny tiny but actually is about a size 8-10 due to enormous amount of stretch!


Just look at those straight lines!



Lasly, I made two silk kimonos from an old sari. The silk is divinely airy and cool in the heat and I am more than a little tempted to buy one of these when they go on sale to wear on my holiday to Nice!



French seams, naturally...


And Kimono number 2...




Hope you like my recycled creations, feels very exciting to have my things sold for such a good cause! Please check out Oxfam Kingston, lovely people and awesome handmade clothes to boot!
If you are interested in joining the sewing club just pop into the shop and pick up a leaflet (we meet on Thursdays)
Thanks for reading x